Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Certification of Structural Engineers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I would be careful about this.  There are some states that do not offer
the Struct I exam, and therefore may not recognize it.  While I don't know
for sure, I suspect that the Michigan PE board may reject reciprocity to
someone with a PE from another state who took the Struct I exam.  They
might allow it, but only after you present your case to them.  I would
actually offer that it may be wise to take the civil PE first.  My
thoughts are based upon the premise that if a state will require the civil
PE to practice structural, then take the civil PE exam while you still
remember some of the non-structural stuff.

Ultimately, if you want to get licensed in multiple states, you will just
have to get used to the idea of taking a BUNCH of exams until we get a
national standard for SE licenses.


On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Charles Espenlaub wrote:

> You should not have trouble getting reciprocity/comity in most state
> with the SE-I exam instead of the Civil.  Several states prefer the SE-I
> over the Civil if you do structural work.  Connecticut, eventhough
> issuing PE's, does so by discipline.  Since I took the Civil Exam (back
> in 1988 - one of the first years the SE-I was given) I had to get a
> "Civil PE", eventhough my 16 years of experience, and my degree were
> structural.  Luckily, their board said I could practice as a Structural
> based on my experience, but they refused to change my designation to
> Structural.
> Georgia, on the other hand, will (now) only give reciprocity to a PE
> doing structural work if they passed the SE-I exam, or have 10 yrs of
> structural experience.  Those with 4-9 years structural experience need
> not apply.  I had several PA PE friends that fell in the 4-9 year group
> and get turned down for reciprocity in GA.  Luckily they both had
> partners that were able to get reciprocity.
> In general, I believe it is better for "new" engineers to take the SE-I
> exam if they want to practice structural, than to take the Civil exam.
> Charles F. Espenlaub, III, P.E.
> Martin-Espenlaub Engineering