UBC Section 2213.51

The load combinations of section 2213.51 are increasing the size of my ASD OMRF members from W12x35 to W16x57.

This frame is located at the end of a 65' x 40' structure, wood framed with diaphragm @ 26' above fin. flr. The frame is also receiving load from a 26' x 40' open canopy, wood framed.

Section 2213.51 states the exception  "Axial load combination need not exceed max. force that can be transferred to the column by elements of the structure......".

I interpret this to mean I can design the nailer/beam connection (for example) for the applied lateral load (no more, no less) and proceed with only meeting load combinations of 1612.3.

If this is true, under what circumstances does one not "cheat the code" by taking this exception and instead design for the load combinations of 2213.51?

Regards,
Mark