Re: Fault Maps

In a message dated 10/9/2000 4:48:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Gerard_Madden(--nospam--at)enron.com writes:

> This seems ridiculous to me that there can be such a discrepancy. Has anyone
> else experienced anything similar to this? Perhaps someone with a Geotech
> background could explain this huge difference in the location of a known
> fault.

It is my understanding that the Hayward SW extension on the ICBO / CDMG maps
is the classic Hayward Fault shown on the AP map.  They should coincide;  BUT
 the designation of the classic Hayward fault trace in this area as shown on
the AP map has been downgraded to a Type B fault based on the amount of creep
present in this area.

What is new is the ICBO/CDMG maps now claiming that the Mission Fault is now
the Hayward fault south and is a Type A fault.  This sounds like the source
of your confusion since the same labels are being used for two very different
fault locations.

The State Geologist has not placed the Mission fault and the Warm Springs
fault on the Alquist Priolo map because there is no physical evidence to show
fault surface rupture hazard at the time the map was prepared.  This does not
mean there is not shaking hazards. The State Map is intended on show surface
fault rupture per the Alquist Priolo Act  (Ref:
http://www.consrv.ca.gov/dmg/rghm/a-p/ap-intro.htm ).  It will be updated
with the new State Seismic Hazard Maps which CDMG advises will show these
fault traces.  Maps for Fremont are not available yet.  The State has not
released a schedule for when maps covering Fremont will be released.  For
more information,  check their website at:
http://www.consrv.ca.gov/dmg/shezp/index.htm

The new 1997 UBC (Uniform Building Code) ICBO fault maps prepared by CDMG
used for structural design show the Mission fault as the Hayward South fault,
a Class A fault,  (http://www.consrv.ca.gov/dmg/shezp/shaking/bayarea.htm) as
a step-over feature between the Calaveras fault and the Hayward fault.  It is
my understanding the Mission and Warm Spring fault traces show seismic
activity,  but no Holocene era surface rupture.  This determination by the
State Division of Mines and Geology has implications for new construction or
alterations. Locations on the map are approximate and based on research and
seismographic recordings on the Mission and Warm Springs fault.

Ron Fong
City of Fremont