Fwd: RE: Certification of Structural Engineers

To add to this thread;

The state of Oregon appears to have the same policies as was reported for Washington.  I received my professional engineer's license by passing the NCEES struct 1 and 2 exams.  With Oregon's addition of the structural license, I'm now a professional structural engineer in Oregon.  I have not taken a civil exam and I do not practice civil engineering.  To date, I have not had a problem obtaining reciprocity in other states (including Michigan) as a professional engineer.  Now I'm considering getting my registration in Utah as a structural engineer (title act) and it looks like I could get a licence as a professional engineer, but I would have to take a civil exam to get the structural tag.  On the face of it, it would seem silly to go back to learning horizontal curves and open channel flow to prove that I am qualified to design buildings.  Certainly, the extra knowledge would not hurt me, but who has the time.

It would be nice to think that NCSEA's effort to certify structural engineers would smooth the way for states to accept structural engineers as their own discipline, independent of the civil profession.  I welcome the effort not only to make life easier for engineers, but also to distinguish our discipline from the other design professions.

To answer Dennis's desire to divide the structural licence into 2 sections; it appears to me that this is an attempt to exclude civil engineers (and architects?) from doing any building design.  Being a logical person in a political world, this might be a difficult step to achieve by attracting a lot of opposition from outside the profession.  To say that only a structural engineer should design certain high risk structures makes a lot of sense to a lot of people, but to say that other qualified engineers should not design minor structures might seem too restrictive.  Small sure steps are more likely to produce the desired result, rather than leaping for the brass ring and falling back to start.

My $.02
Curt La Count
Jacobs Engineering
Portland, OR