Fwd: RE: Certification of Structural Eng

It has been too many years ago since I took the Arizona Civil and Structural
exams.  Arizona requires 16 hours of exam above the EIT for Structural
registration and the first 8 hours was the same as the Civil exam.  However,
typically each morning and afternoon sessions consisted of 8 questions, of
which the applicant was required to answer 4.  Not by coincidence, 4
questions of each session were structural questions and the other 4 had to do
with Civil/Surveying.

The criteria in Arizona for whether an applicant was eligible for "Civil" or
"Structural" registration was the "experience acceptable to the board."  If a
person had *no* civil experience, then that person would not be eligible for
Civil registration even if he/she took and passed the Civil exam, answering
only the "civil" questions.

Likewise, graduates with degrees in "Architectural Engineering" were not
eligible to get registered as a "Civil" engineer, but could get registered
both as an Architect and a Structural Engineer.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Curt La Count wrote:

>>To add to this thread;

The state of Oregon appears to have the same policies as was reported for
Washington.  I received my professional engineer's license by passing the
NCEES struct 1 and 2 exams.  With Oregon's addition of the structural license,
I'm now a professional structural engineer in Oregon.  I have not taken a
civil exam and I do not practice civil engineering.  To date, I have not had a
problem obtaining reciprocity in other states (including Michigan) as a
professional engineer.  Now I'm considering getting my registration in Utah as
a structural engineer (title act) and it looks like I could get a licence as a
professional engineer, but I would have to take a civil exam to get the
structural tag.  On the face of it, it would seem silly to go back to learning
horizontal curves and open channel flow to prove that I am qualified to design
buildings.  Certainly, the extra knowledge would not hurt me, but who has the
time.<<