Re: UBC Section 2213.51

Mark,

The UBC section you allude to only applies to columns.  The member sizes
you reference appear to be beams.

I don't recall having to bump up the size of a column so much because of
this code provision.  Are you aware that this is a strength expression
and you need to factor your column load capacity by 1.7.

Since it is the nailer transferring the shear to the frame, don't
understand how the nailer capacity can be less than the design shear.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Coronado, S.E.
West Covina, CA