From: Paul Crocker [mailto:paulc(--nospam--at)ckcps.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 9:19 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Engineers using NAFTA Labor

"It is only a matter of time until they build computers that are able to
automate much of what we do."

We're only really in trouble when they let a computer stamp drawings and
make job site visits.  I don't expect to see that in our life times.  In a
Simpsons episode a few years ago the head of a military school was
addressing his recent graduates and told them that the wars of the future
would be fought in space, by robots... their job would be to build and
maintain those robots.  I suspect the we will find our jobs headed in that
direction - to run the software that we use to design buildings and to
verify the results.  Since more and more design software is capable of
giving its output in .dxf file form, I suspect that structural drafters need
to be more worried over the next couple of decades than we do.

Paul Crocker