Definition of Responsible Charge and E& O Insurance

I would appreciate responses to this question sent to me privately only
because I am subscribed in digest form and would not normally receive a
response until tonight. My direct address is dennis.wish(--nospam--at)gte.net.

Question:

Can a firm which advertises and provides structural engineering services be
own by non-professionals who hire an engineer to act in responsible charge?
OR, must the principle in the business be a licensed engineer or architect?

Will an insurance company providing E&O insurance cover a firm where the
principle is not an engineer or architect?

Does the laws prohibiting Plan Stamping apply to Architects who review and
stamp engineering drawings and designs done by others?

Where might I find specific information that clearly explains the guidelines
in California?

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for: