Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: English 101

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Did you have to cheat? 

This is a cheap shot with reference to your "It was the only question I missed :o(." 

Do not take this the wrong way. It is only a joke.

If you refer to "Dictionary of Civil Engineering" by John S. Scott you will find on page 21 that the definition for aseismic design is "Structural design to withstand earthquakes."

>>> Bill(--nospam--at) 10/10/00 12:01PM >>>
Degenkolb's website has a structural quiz. See: 

then click on "Online Quiz"

Question #4 refers to "aseismic design". The answer is:

"Aseismic is the correct word for description of resistance to seismic
effects, although the term seismic design is more commonly used".

I know my strength is NOT English grammar, but I think this answer is
incorrect. I've always thought that "aseismic" means "non-seismic". Of
course, my Webster's doesn't have the word (neither does ).

Does anyone have an opinion or, better yet, a definitive answer on this?

It was the only question I missed :o(.


Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
Consulting Structural Engineers
Laguna Niguel, CA 
V (949) 365-5696
F (949) 249-2297