Re: English 101

Did you have to cheat?

This is a cheap shot with reference to your "It was the only question I missed :o(."

Do not take this the wrong way. It is only a joke.

If you refer to "Dictionary of Civil Engineering" by John S. Scott you will find on page 21 that the definition for aseismic design is "Structural design to withstand earthquakes."

>>> Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com 10/10/00 12:01PM >>>
Degenkolb's website has a structural quiz. See:

http://www.degenkolb.com/

then click on "Online Quiz"

Question #4 refers to "aseismic design". The answer is:

"Aseismic is the correct word for description of resistance to seismic
effects, although the term seismic design is more commonly used".

I know my strength is NOT English grammar, but I think this answer is
incorrect. I've always thought that "aseismic" means "non-seismic". Of
course, my Webster's doesn't have the word (neither does
http://www.webster.com ).

Does anyone have an opinion or, better yet, a definitive answer on this?

It was the only question I missed :o(.

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS