Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: English 101

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Unless it is a specific geological term, I am siding with you Bill.

I could not locate the word in my good old "Concise Oxford 
Australian dictionary" either

Peter McCormack 

From:           	"Bill Allen" <Bill(--nospam--at)>
To:             	<seaint(--nospam--at)>
Subject:        	English 101
Date sent:      	Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:01:54 -0700
Send reply to:  	seaint(--nospam--at)

Degenkolb's website has a structural quiz. See:

then click on "Online Quiz"

Question #4 refers to "aseismic design". The answer is:

"Aseismic is the correct word for description of resistance to seismic
effects, although the term seismic design is more commonly used".

I know my strength is NOT English grammar, but I think this answer is
incorrect. I've always thought that "aseismic" means "non-seismic". Of
course, my Webster's doesn't have the word (neither does ).

Does anyone have an opinion or, better yet, a definitive answer on this?

It was the only question I missed :o(.


Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
Consulting Structural Engineers
Laguna Niguel, CA
V (949) 365-5696
F (949) 249-2297