From: Curt LaCount <Curt.LaCount(--nospam--at)jacobs.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 4:42 PM
Subject: Fwd: RE: Certification of Structural Engineers

To add to this thread;

The state of Oregon appears to have the same policies as was reported for
Washington.  I received my professional engineer's license by passing the
NCEES struct 1 and 2 exams.  With Oregon's addition of the structural
license, I'm now a professional structural engineer in Oregon.  I have not
taken a civil exam and I do not practice civil engineering.  To date, I have
not had a problem obtaining reciprocity in other states (including Michigan)
as a professional engineer.  Now I'm considering getting my registration in
Utah as a structural engineer (title act) and it looks like I could get a
licence as a professional engineer, but I would have to take a civil exam to
get the structural tag.  On the face of it, it would seem silly to go back
to learning horizontal curves and open channel flow to prove that I am
qualified to design buildings.  Certainly, the extra knowledge would not
hurt me, but who has the time.

It would be nice to think that NCSEA's effort to certify structural
engineers would smooth the way for states to accept structural engineers as
their own discipline, independent of the civil profession.  I welcome the
effort not only to make life easier for engineers, but also to distinguish
our discipline from the other design professions.

To answer Dennis's desire to divide the structural licence into 2 sections;
it appears to me that this is an attempt to exclude civil engineers (and
architects?) from doing any building design.  Being a logical person in a
political world, this might be a difficult step to achieve by attracting a
lot of opposition from outside the profession.  To say that only a
structural engineer should design certain high risk structures makes a lot
of sense to a lot of people, but to say that other qualified engineers
should not design minor structures might seem too restrictive.  Small sure
steps are more likely to produce the desired result, rather than leaping for
the brass ring and falling back to start.

My $.02
Curt La Count
Jacobs Engineering
Portland, OR