Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: RE: Certification of Structural Engineers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
The requirements to obtain an SE license in Illinois are:

1) graduate of an "approved engineering curriculum of at least 4 years..."
and passes 8 hour EIT exam (or graduate of a "related science curriculum
of at least 4 years..." and passes 8 hour EIT exam).
2) 4 years of structural engineering experience to be "accepted" by the
board (or 8 years if it was a science curriculum not an engineering
3) pass the SE examination which in Illinois is the NCEES Struct I and
Struct II exams

If I recall correctly (looked this up not that long ago when we might have
ended up with a project in Oregon), the Illinois SE has (or at least
appeared to have) direct reciprocity with Oregon.  The thing that confused
me with regards to Oregon is that the Oregon board's web page never
mentioned an SE license, but kind of implied that a PE for structural
required a 16 hour structural exam.  Plus, the fees for the exams listed
fees for the NCEES Struct I and Struct II exam.

Ultimately, the best way to find out is to contact the board of the state
in which you wish to obtain reciprocity.

Hope that helps,


On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Curt LaCount wrote:

> I have not applied for registration in Illinois, so I could not say for sure, but since both require the NCEES structural exams, there is a chance.  Maybe someone like Scott Maxwell can help with the question of Illinois registration.  You could also visit the web site for Illinois (go to and go to the state boards list).
> Curt La Count
> Jacobs Engineering
> Portland, OR
> ---------
> Does Oregon's SE qualifies for Illinois's SE ( I mean reciprocity)?
>  How do you think about the NCSEA's new academy and the proposed Specialty
> Board.
> Wael Shabana