Re: English 101

not like any more opinions are needed here, but here's mine anyway.
take it for what it's worth.

I have heard the term used repeatedly and it seems to mean two
different things to engineers and seismologists/earthquake
geologists.  My interpretation of the meanings:

aseismic - (1) term used by seismologists to refer to geologic
		structures and regions *not* subject to seismic
		activity

	   (2) term used by textbook and specification authors
		to describe design methods and performance
		specifications for structures intended to be
		resistant to seismic loading

assumed etymology:
regional glottalization of the word "geologic" in the sentence:

A [geologic] structure not subject to seismic loads is aseismic.

with the verbial phrase "to be subject to" interpreted to mean
"to be subject to failure"

;-)

Charley
(tongue firmly in cheek)
--
Charles Hamilton, EIT                   Graduate Student Researcher
University of California, Irvine        Email: chamilto(--nospam--at)eng.uci.edu