Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: English 101

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I can't find aseismic in either my Webster's Dictionary or my McGraw-Hill
Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, but both define "asexual" as
"not involving sex". Not a definitive answer but agrees with intuition. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bill Allen [mailto:Bill(--nospam--at)]
> Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 1:02 PM
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject: English 101
> Degenkolb's website has a structural quiz. See:
> then click on "Online Quiz"
> Question #4 refers to "aseismic design". The answer is:
> "Aseismic is the correct word for description of resistance to seismic
> effects, although the term seismic design is more commonly used".
> I know my strength is NOT English grammar, but I think this answer is
> incorrect. I've always thought that "aseismic" means "non-seismic". Of
> course, my Webster's doesn't have the word (neither does
> ).
> Does anyone have an opinion or, better yet, a definitive 
> answer on this?