Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: English 101

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

I would have thought this thread would have died when somemone (forget
name) quoted a CE dictionary stating aseismic to mean seismic resisting.

Ever since I was in school (yes, pre-wheel days) I have heard and used
the term aseismic to mean seismic resisting.  Sorry 9/10, can't help you
on this one.

Jeff Coronado, S.E.
West Covina, CA

Bill Allen wrote:
> Degenkolb's website has a structural quiz. See:
> then click on "Online Quiz"
> Question #4 refers to "aseismic design". The answer is:
> "Aseismic is the correct word for description of resistance to seismic
> effects, although the term seismic design is more commonly used".
> I know my strength is NOT English grammar, but I think this answer is
> incorrect. I've always thought that "aseismic" means "non-seismic". Of
> course, my Webster's doesn't have the word (neither does
> ).
> Does anyone have an opinion or, better yet, a definitive answer on this?
> It was the only question I missed :o(.
> Regards,
> Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
> Consulting Structural Engineers
> Laguna Niguel, CA
> V (949) 365-5696
> F (949) 249-2297