Cement Certifications

I have recently reviewed a couple of cement certification submittals from
ready-mix suppliers with analyses reports saying the cement meets ASTM C150
for Type I or II, but the fineness is testing close to double the limit for
Type I or II, which would kick it into Type III (high early) territory. Some
of this cement is imported from China.

I work with hydraulic structures where keeping the heat of hydration down is
important to minimize overall shrinkage. The finer cement reacts more
rapidly and generates more heat, which is undesirable.

ASTM C150 has no limit on fineness for Type III, and I was wondering what
typical values are, and whether I should be unduly alarmed about this.

Jim Lutz

10800 NE 8th Street - 7th Floor
Bellevue, WA 98004
(425) 455-9494