From: Martin W. Johnson [mailto:MWJ(--nospam--at)eqe.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 8:06 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Foreign Labor issues

well said, Dennis (except for the apathy part).

Any MBA will tell you that it absolutely makes sense to use international
labor
in order to improve your business advantage, that it is the essence of
capitalism.

However, MBA's do not understand the essential nature of the engineering
business.  Our business is founded on three principles:  technical
competency,
established relationships, and trust.  The heart of our business is
developing
established relationships with core clients who place their trust in our
skills.
And this is completely counter to the concept of just "farming out work for
the
lowest price."  (and I wish more clients shared this attitude).

Speaking for myself, I cannot release that much control over designs that I
have
to seal, and I doubt if many others can as well.

regards, Martin