RE: Posting in foreign languages

Bill,

Thank a youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bpolhem(--nospam--at)swbell.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 12:30 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Posting in foreign languages

Most if not all international technical societies require that articles and
proceedings be published in English.

This isn't "political correctness" (if it were, there'd be 470 volumes
published, covering every language from Afrikaans to Zulu). It is simply
common
sense. English is perhaps the most widely-spoken language on earth (thank
the
fact that the sun used never to set on the British Empire for that), and it
is
one of the most adaptable for technical discussions.

Therefore, English is agreed to be the lingua franca for technical
journalism.

So it goes for this forum.

Doesn't mean other languages aren't "good enough", it simply means that if
you
want to discuss something with ALL the members of this forum, you use
English.

If you DON'T care if everyone participates, then why put it here? Take it to
private email, where no one gives a fig WHAT language you use.

So, in future, let's leave the multicultural cr*p out of what goes on here,
and
stick with what works.