Re: Use of foreign engineers... ET AL....

Ron,

Maybe what we need now is another certification to go along with CE/PE/SE .
That would be LS, for Language Skills. There could be LS I, LS II, LS III,
etc. ;o)

I'm an LS IV myself... and have been having a ball reading the foreign
language messages.

I would be happy to translate them for you - at a hefty price naturally

OOPS... I guess I shouldn't have used the expression "having a ball".....  I
don't however believe that it is necessary to speak english flawlessly to
crunch numbers and exchange engineering knowledge.

Plus...if engineering slang is an obstruction to good engineering, you
wouldn't want to work with any australians, new zealanders, british,
canadian or other english speaking fellows. Heck, you wouldn't work with
anyone outside of your neighborhood...

Plus, I believe in my 7+ years of undergrad/grad education, plus 20+ years
of "continuous education and CPD's....over 75% of my professors were foreign
born .

I would hate to send my son to a school where only US nationals could

So...try to keep things in perspective.... and send me a list of "american
engineering slang" as I am not sure what that would be..... (Does KIPS count
..????)

jim korff, pe   (that's pe, for poor engineer)