Re: Specific Gravity of coke

ACI 313-97 Table 4-A in the commentary lists coke with a weight of 32-61 pcf, a footnote at the bottom of the table has a word of caution and says the material should be tested.

>>> CMCummings(--nospam--at)BEIEngineers.com 10/13/00 08:50AM >>>
I am currently involved in a project to evaluate the condition of an
existing delayed coking unit structure in a refinery.  The problem we are
encountering right now is determining a reasonable value to use for the
weight of the coke drums when they are full.  The client has given us a
weight based on a specific gravity of 2.0 for the coke; however, we are
having problems justifying the original design of the structure (vintage
early 1960's) using weights calculated on that basis.  Has anyone used a
lower value for the s.g. of coke in the design of one of these structures?
I have heard the value of 1.53 discussed, but a disclaimer of "hearsay" was
attached to it.

Thanks,
Chris Cummings, PE