RE: Cement Certifications/C1157

Harold Sprague wrote:

> The best option is to drop the C150 all together and switch
> to the C1157 specification and performance specify the cement.  There are
> a lot more options in the C1157 as opposed to the C150.  You can fine
> tune the heat of hydration performance aspect.

Harold, I have only recently become familiar with the C1157 standard and I
am
confused with how it offers "a lot more options" than C150. Regarding heat
of
hydration, both specs seem to have similar limits for low or moderate heat
of
hydration cements. I don't see many more options for the engineer just more
options for the supplier, since C1157 states "there are no restrictions on
the
composition of the cement or its constituents".

Have you or other engineers on the listserver specified this cement yet?
While
"performance standards" make sense for some things, I have trouble with the
idea
of not having any restrictions on composition of a product with such a long
history
of use and development. This standard also places responsibility on the
engineer for
"safety and health practices" and "regulatory limitations" when using this
cement.
It would seem the engineer is buying into a lot of liability.

Frankly, I find this standard just plain "scary".