Re: Use of foreign engineers

I have to say that in my experience, the U.S., Canada, Great Britain, and indeed
that majority of the English-speaking world, are similar in this regard. Indeed,
what little experience I have with Europe seems to correlate with this as well.

However, Latin America, Asia, the Indian subcontinent, and Africa, seem to hold
the view toward degreed engineers as being the "summum bonum" of technical
expertise that I described.

That said, I think it is ONLY fair to point out that at least here in the U.S.,
I've seen more and more evidence that the U.S.-born graduate engineers--at least
those with advanced degrees--have similar attitudes.

I attribute this to the very lucrative and tight job market of the last several
years. These kids are pursued with gusto before they even finish school, and
acquire a very inflated view of their capabilities as a result.

The mention I made earlier, of the problems I had with my young Chinese friend,
have been duplicated since then by two other young EITs with advanced degrees,
one a male and one a female, who are blond, blue eyed and most decidedly
American.

This by reason of pointing out that I am not attributing the problem to being
foreign-born, but to the copping of an attitude, which I believe is cultural in
many of the societies I mentioned earlier, and "market-driven" (to coin a
phrase) in many new graduates here in the states whatever their cultural origin.