Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Posting in foreign languages

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

I apologize.  If it was your intent, and the boards intent, for the
server to be international, then I spoke out of turn.

Jeff Coronado, S.E.
West Covina, CA

Dennis S. Wish wrote:
> Jeff Coronado Wrote:
> "From: Jeff Coronado <jcse(--nospam--at)>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject: Re: Posting in foreign languages
> Ghassem,
> I have mixed feelings on this.  There are valid arguements both ways.
> However, I can see where the list would become a turn off to a great
> number of people if this goes multi-linguo or whatever.  A lot of people
> are already turned off by the list because everyday there are 50 e mails
> to scan and delete.  Can you imagine posts running in 10 different
> languages.  EVERYONE would be in the same situation.  200 e mails out of
> which maybe 50 are in languages any one person would understand.  I
> would think this would be a turn off to english speakers, french
> speakers, spanish speakers, russian speakers...  No one would be left.
> Perhaps the solution is for some of the other language speaking
> engineers to establish a list with their language and limit one of these
> list servers to english.  Just please point me to that one.
> Jeff Coronado, S.E.
> West Covina, CA"
> Jeff,
> My comments are meant to be respectful - not intended to insult anyone. It
> never fails to amaze me when I hear an argument that mentions how people are
> "turned off" to a listservice because there are already so many posts. Nine
> years ago we didn't have even one professional forum for engineers to
> express their opinions and seek the advice of their peers. Today we have a
> List with somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 engineers world wide with less
> than 0.04% who are active participants. This leaves 99.96% of the profession
> who simply "lurk".
> Approximately four years ago I instituted change on this forum to set a
> precedence where engineers from around the world feel more comfortable
> participating with peers on a public forum that was perceived to be only for
> California engineers. The fact remains that as a co-founder of this list, my
> intentions and those of the board members who supported my suggestion -
> including James Lai,SE (the president of SEAOSC at the time) - was to make
> this a public service without boundaries. SEA deserved the credit for its
> creation, but the on-going success of the listservice belongs to those who
> use it, not those who own the server.
> If the forum grows too large because the 99.96% of the profession decides to
> voice an opinion or involve themselves in discussions, or wish to see change
> in our profession - I would personally feel that the time and energy I
> invested in this List was well accomplished.
> If the list was flooded with Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Japanese,
> Russian or any of the worlds languages, then our responsibility would be to
> provide not only a dedicated forum or list for them, but a means to
> translate so that English speaking people and those outside the specific
> language can value from the opinion or answer the engineers questions or
> simply laugh at his or her humor.
> When will those on this list realize that the move toward International
> Building Codes not intended to launch the next war of who will control the
> code world. Just to set the record - I am a Chicago born second generation
> American who believes that we have a lot to learn from others outside this
> country. I would give anything to hear from the 99.96% of you who do not
> participate - at least on those issues that control the codes we follow or
> the future of our profession. There have been many important, albeit
> political, engineering issues placed on this site which were meant to
> encourage thought and fuel strong opinions. My disappointment is when 99.96%
> of you remain silent or feel that the only way to respond is privately where
> the policy makers can not hear you.
> So, my pledge is, if you can't speak your native tongue on this List, I will
> provide you a forum where you can. I only ask that you help me to make the
> translation into different languages sufficiently so others can benefit and
> become involved.
> I would like to set a goal of 0.04% lurkers and 99.96% professional
> engineers who have a strong interest in the future of the profession and in
> becoming better engineers in the process. Personally, I'm not afraid of my
> "Delete Key."
> Regards,
> Dennis S. Wish, PE
> The Structuralist Administrator - for an alternative, visit:
> AEC-Residential Listservice
> admin(--nospam--at)
> (208) 361-5447 E-Fax
> In a perfect world, I would hope that our participation level among
> professionals were much higher than 0.01% of the professional community
> world wide.