Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Fwd: ASD9 Chapter K[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: SEAINT List Service <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Fwd: ASD9 Chapter K
- From: "Drew A. Norman, SE" <dnorman(--nospam--at)dnormanse.com>
- Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 10:44:57 -0700
In re Charlie Canitz' ms from the 10/13 digest (dup'd below)
I think the key to the conundrum is that sidesway web buckling is a stability rather than a strength issue, and the relevant material property is thus the modulus of elasticity (which is of course constant across the range of common structure steels) rather than yield strength.
Drew A. Norman, S.E.
Drew A. Norman and Associates
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:29:57 EDT
Subject: ASD9 Chapter K
While checking a beam for sidesway web buckling(Section K1.5), I noticed that
eqns K1-6 and K1-7 do not include Fsuby. If you calculate the equations as
shown, you end up with a in^2 unit, not kips as I would expect. I'm assuming
that the 6800 value must have a ksi unit but wouldn't the limits vary based
upon a 36 ksi vs 50 ksi yield stress or is this already factored in? Chapter
K of the LRFD spec's is similar.
Bel Air, MD
- Prev by Subject: Fwd: ASD9 Chapter K
- Next by Subject: RE: ASD9 Chapter K
- Previous by thread: Fwd: ASD9 Chapter K
- Next by thread: RE: ASD9 Chapter K