Curved Retaining Walls

Yes, Paul, I'm here if I am the Roger that you are referring to <G>.

Curved retaining walls need to be designed similar to a pressure vessel
(shell), otherwise, for concave inward (towards the retained soil) they will
crack and crack frequently (16" to 24" spacing).  A tension bond beam at the
top is required, and, of course, like a drag strut, that tension bond beam
has to be anchored.  (Concave outward will result in the retaining wall being
in compression.

Actually, a concave inward retaining wall can be a very lightly reinforced
wall vertically as it can be considered a simply supported wall supported
both at the footing and at the tension bond beam.  Likewise, horizontal steel
can also be light as it doesn't take very much steel to resist horizontal
tension in the wall.

If you want to avoid complaints from the masons/ironworkers, put two rows of
vertical reinforcing in so that they will not say that the engineer doesn't
know what he is doing by putting vertical reinforcing near the outside face
of a retaining wall.

Does this address your concerns.  I have tried to be very brief.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Paul Feather wrote:

>>I know I have seen discussion regarding curved retaining walls before,  I am
looking for a brief synopsis of potential issues and problems that should be
addressed during design of curved walls.  Any experience I can draw upon is
appreciated.

Roger, you out there?

Thanks,

Paul Feather<<