From the way I've interpreted the code (which could easily be wrong), just the vertical elements (like hold downs) of discontinuous vertical elements need to be designed for Wo in Type V structures. Since the cantilevered column has E(axial)=0, I wouldn't use Wo at all. R=2.2 is enough penalty IMO.

Just my take,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
Laguna Niguel, CA
http://www.AllenDesigns.com
V (949) 365-5696
F (949) 249-2297

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 8:27 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: cantilivered columns

Greetings,

Cantilevered column for lateral resisting elements in type v construction:

Am I interpreting 97 UBC correctly,

Design column/beam connection for omega forces.
Design column strength and drift for section 1612.3 load combinations
Design base connection for omega forces.

Does the footing need to be designed for omega forces?

Regards,

Mark