Re: Cantilevered Wood Diaphragm

Robert-

That is an interesting question.  It applies to building design in general and
not just to this structure.

For low rise construction, the analysis is typically for static loads only and
loads are always applied in the same direction.  For a static analysis of a
flexible diaphragm, it wouldn't matter because loads are distributed by
tributary area and therefore only the magnitude of the load, not the + or -
direction, is relevant.  For a rigid diaphragm analysis, the torsional moment
would be GREATLY increased and the overall effect on the shearwalls should be a
significant increase in the maximum shear (depending on the geometry and the
direction of loads).   I can only assume that typical structures do not
actually respond in this away.  At least, the code doesn't require us to
analyze for it.   (I hope this doesn't give any of the code guys, ideas.  It's
already getting hard enough as it is, making wood structures calc out.  ;-)

Monty Hart
Associated Design Consultants, Inc.
Anchorage, Alaska