RE: UBC Section 1633.2.6 Collector Elements

Thank you Mr. Emoto, your response was valuable

vague manner and many busy people probably did not want to spend a lot of
time trying to figure out what you were really asking. I will take a stab
at it though.

> In order for lateral-force-resisting system elements to perform
effectively, we need to ensure that the loads can get to them.  It doesn't
do much good to design strong, ductile frames and walls if the collector
elements are the weak link.  Therefore, the collectors should have enough
strength at ultimate levels to resist the estimated maximum earthquake
forces that can be developed in the structure (E-sub-M).  If you are using
allowable stress design, you can check the ultimate strength capacity of
the collectors by using an allowable stress increase factor of 1.7.

> I believe this provision is philosophically related to the effort in the
97 UBC to improve seismic performance by system redundancy.  This
requirement of the collectors encourages the designer to improve sytem
redundancy by adding more frames and walls so that the collectors are not
working so hard.

> Jason Emoto

--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.