Structural Steel Section Properties

We have a book published by AISC entitled "Iron and Steel Beams: 1873 to
1952".  The first publication was in 1953, the tenth was in 1990.  There may
have been an additional publishing since then.  We use it frequently for
renovations and additions -- you should try to talk your employer into
purchasing one.

The "I" probably means an American Standard section, and there are several
variations of each depth and weight combination depending on the place and
year manufactured.  For example, it lists 2 possibilities for a
12" I 36#, two of which were manufactured in the late 1920's.  The overall
dimensions are similar, but variations in flange slope and thickness causes
the Ix to vary from 175.5 to 182.7.  The book also has the Bethlehem shapes
indicated in an earlier response, but they're wide-flange shapes (bf=6.5"
verses 5.0" for the I shapes).

You really need to get a tape, a set of calipers, a ladder, a hammer, and a
flashlight and do some field research.  An angle gauge is also nice.  You
might have the original plans, but I've never seen a building that is built
*exactly* according to the plans.  The general range of possible beams can
be easily determined (wide-flange vs. American Standard), then use the most
conservative beam properties in your design.

You also want to find out the material that was used.

----
Jason W. Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com