RE: Cantilevered Wood Diaphragm -Reply

Charles Espenlaub wrote:

>>But if that 56' beam were 150' deep and were braced against rotation by
perpendicular shear walls at 30'-40' o.c., should you now be worried??

Charles F. Espenlaub, III, P.E.
Martin-Espenlaub Engineering<<

But, of course!  Those shear walls are analogous to pinned end beams that are
contributing to the loading of the 56' long beam and provide no support for
the 56' long beam.  For loading parallel to the longitudinal shear walls, the
perpendicular shear walls provide no restraint or support.  In fact, the mass
(weight) of the perpendicular shear walls contribute to the loading of the
diaphragm, and hence, the load to the supports (longitudinal shear walls).
(Other than providing lateral support for beams/girders, how much does floor
framing contribute to the bending and shear capacity of beams and girders
when designing for gravity loads?)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona