Re: Design of Silos - Interior Load Distribution

I do not have any experience with the inverted cone bottom, but I have a reference which has a few pages of discussion.

"Design and Construction of Silos and Bunkers" by Sargis S. Safarian and Ernest C. Harris, pages 290 to 300.  Mr. Safarian is a member of ACI 313, "Standard Practice for Design and Construction of Concrete Silos and Stacking Tubes for Storing Granular Materials",  he can be reached at:

SMH Engineering Inc.
3609 S. Wadsworth Boulevard, Suite 320
Lakewood, Colorado  80235
(303)989-2110

>>> RajSTC(--nospam--at)aol.com 10/18/00 01:18PM >>>
Are there some list members that have experience with design of cement silos?
The discharge mechanism in a cement silo has an inverted cone structure,
inside the silo. I want to know the loading on the cone structure. Apart from
the gravity loads, the cone shell will experience normal pressures during
filling and discharging operations. If there is someone that can help me,
please let me know.  Thanks.

P. Rajendran
Service & Technology Corporation
105 SW Penn