Re: Lat Torsional Buckling

Jason W. Kilgore wrote:

<< Because of lateral torsional buckling, a W16x77 is required.  This isn't
such a big deal except that the owner is screaming to cut costs everywhere
possible (this building prototype will be built many times).  I am trying to
use a W16x36 with a C12x20.7 channel combined section.>>

Jason:

This may be a little out of left field and my apologies if you've already
considered it. Have you thought of using a tube section? Like a TS 20x8?
Your lateral torsional problem should basically go away because of the
torsional strength of the tube. Just a thought.

Cheers,
John MacLean