RE: Prop35

As a longstanding member of SEAOC, and an engineer in the public sector, I
do not appreciate the way this proposition is being pushed by the board. I
do realize that it is critical for the public agencies to have the
flexibility of contracting out when they have exhausted all the internal
resources or when the expertise is not available internally or in case of an
emergency. But to imply that whenever a project is done by a public agency
design professional it is going to cost the tax payers more an take longer
is outright wrong. SEAOC should be more sensitive to many of its members
that work in the public sector and not push this in the manner that it has.

I do know first hand that, at least in our shop, our customers prefer
in-house plan check to the consultant review by a ratio of 4 to 1 according
to a survey we recently did. The best approach, in my opinion is for each
jurisdiction to perform a comparative evaluation of cost, time and quality
to determine which is the better choice for them on each project (in-house
or contract) and proceed accordingly.

My 2 cents
Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA