Re: UBC Uplift

I have trouble with it because the .9 factor doesn't even apply to dead load
in combination with wind, only with seismic (go figure).  One typically uses
somewhat conservative numbers to calculate DL for combination with LL.  It is
NOT conservative to then apply the same DL to resist wind uplift.  The
previous .85 factor was correct, but is now missing.

 I'd use it anyway.  There is nothing in the code to prevent you from
calculating a net uplift force that is higher than required.

Monty Hart
Associated Design Consultants, Inc.
Anchorage, Alaska