comm#780--RE: Lat Torsional Buckling

Charlie-

would you mind faxing me a copy of your example LRFD calcs for a WF with
channel cap?  I have some crane rails to design, and although I don't expect
strength to govern, I'm thinking of leaping into the '80's and using LRFD
for the rest of the building.  I worked an example calc, and was not pleased
with the amount of work needed to find lambda-sub-R.  Maybe I'm missing the
easy path.

On the same subject, for crane rails, does anyone attempt to account for the
height of the load above the neutral axis?  I recall seeing a method for
adjusting for this in Galambos' "Guide to Stability Design Criteria" (4th
Ed., page 158).  Is this appropriate?  The effect seems significant.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Hemstad, P.E.
  phone: 651/292-4468
  fax: 651/292-0083
  e-mail: hemstad.ml(--nospam--at)tkda.com
Toltz, King, Duvall, Anderson & Assoc., Inc
1500 Piper Jaffray Plaza
444 Cedar Street
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101-2140