Tack Welding Heavy Hex Nuts?

A client standard I'm using shows "tack welding" the heavy hex nuts used at the
base of the anchor bolt to the 1/4" plate template used to hold all the anchor
bolts in place during construction.

I don't really mind the template so much, but is "tack welding" really
necessary? And if I MUST do so, what weldable heavy hex nut material is
available for this? (Even though it's only a tack I'm concerned about
embrittlement).