Response to those who emailed me about work assistance

This has actually blossomed into a new discussion. I was surprised at the
number of responses I received. For those of you who did respond, I have not
yet been able to gel this idea and have clients on my end who are going
outside the area (90 minutes away) just to find an available engineer.

There are a number of problems to overcome before I can reasonable start a
work relationship with consultants in other areas of the country. I believe
the idea will work but for a different reason. There are areas of rapid
growth all over the US as there are areas where growth is slowing down and
professionals are out searching for work.

Although I started this thread with the idea of finding help for myself to
accommodate the small projects which disrupt a small engineers practice and
generally gets juggled into their schedule at the expense of other clients.
It occurred to me that if there was a Professional-Collaboration of
available consulting services - divided by experience and specialties, we
could offer services to each other to support regions where work is abundant
while helping those in areas where the process has slowed down. I believe
that much of this is cyclic and that slow areas will regentrify as cities
compete for new housing, upgrades, remodels etc.

To accomplish this is a task I could not possibly do alone. I think that
there are many issues to establishing a standard that can help insure the
success of completing work and being paid for work done.

I have added a discussion Topic on The Structuralist.Net which would allow
this type of discussion while attempting to create a minimum standard of
compliance. I prefer to use the discussion forum rather than a Listservice
as the ideas for standards remain posted for others to review at their own
leisure. The "paper-trail" is maintained on the discussion forum rather than
inundating the reader to search archives for past threads.

I invite all of you how would like to participate the creation of a
Professional Collaboration please double click on the link attached to this
email. Those of you who are receiving this in digest mode can access the
forum from the following link. Because of the maximum characters per line
and the fact that ASCII text editors place line feeds at the end of each
line, you will have to combine two lines so that the URL address is all
contained without a line break.

Link
http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Head
lines&BID=71&SID=3655

NOTE: THE URL ADDRESS SHOULD START WITH HTTP AND END WITH SID=3655

Once you get to this forum, you can bookmark the page. At the top of the
message area will be the directory tree that represents the
Structuralist.Net Professionals Discussions. It will look like;

Index/The Small Office / Home Office (SOHO) Professional

and the Topic is called; Professional Collaboration.

YOU MUST REGISTER ON THE DISCUSSION FORUM TO PARTICIPATE (THERE IS NO CHARGE
BUT THIS DOES CONTROL MISUSE OF THE DISCUSSIONS). CLICK ON THE REGISTER LINK
BELOW THE STRUCTURALIST LOGO IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER OF THE SCREEN ON THE
WHITE LINE WITH A NUMBER OF GRAY CHOICES (LOGIN | REGISTER| SEARCH (TODAY'S
POSTS)| HELP)

If you have any questions, please email me at the address listed below my
signature.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for: