RE: Designing a remodel - how to treat the existing structure

Dennis

I agree with your line of thinking. The only thing I would change in your
approach is item No.2:

-Calculate the tributary loads (per current code) from the existing and new
portions, to the existing line(s) of resistance affected by the addition,
and design accordingly.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA