Re: UK Steel Designations

I have the 1962 printing of Steel Designers' Manual, a British handbook
published in 1955 for the British Steel Producers' Conference.  The sizes
and weights of steel members are in inches and pounds, respectively.

When did Britain change to the metric system?

Was it traumatic?

I'm not eager to learn a new system, but it certainly seems a sensible thing
to do.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer