Re: sloped retaining walls

maybe I don't understand. The soil active pressure is horizontal without
regard to the slope of the wall. The soil pressure increases as the slope
of the backfill increases. For example if the backfill is on a 2:1 slope
the equiv. fluid pressure may be about 50 lbs./cu.ft.

 I trust you mean the slope of the face of the wall - not the slope of
the earth being retained. I provide a minor amount of slope in all
retaining walls to make them look better and to account for deflection.

 When you take moments, the more slope  of the face of the wall, the more
the weight of the wall helps in resisting the earth pressure overturning
forces

Stan Scholl, P. E.
Laguna Beach, CA.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!