Re: Analysis of pipes with large D/t ratios

Bill:

The latest and most complete slenderness ratios for nonseismic applications
can be found in the LRFD specification and manual.  For circular HSS in
axial compression, there is no compact section limit.  The noncompact
section limit is 3300/Fy.  For circular HSS in flexure, the compact section
limit is 2070/Fy and the noncompact section limit is 8970/Fy.

For seismic applications, you need to refer to the AISC Seismic Provisions
where some of the slenderness rations are tighter.  For circular HSS in
axial compression or flexure, the compact section limit is 1300/Fy.  The
noncompact section limit is per the LRFD specification and manual.

By the way, have you opened up that LRFD Manual yet?

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo

"Bill Allen" <T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)home.com> on 10/26/2000 09:50:41 AM