RE: New edition of LRFD handbook

Title: RE: New edition of LRFD handbook

Based on what we were told by an AISC engineer at the "Lateral Framing
>When is the new edition of the LRFD manual coming out? I thought I read
>a mention about it coming out soon.

The 1999 LRFD Specification is being printed now. The 3rd Edition LRFD Manual is now being developed and assembled based upon that specification and will be available in late October, 2001.

>[and AISC representative said] on 10/25/00 it is complete and is in the process of
>being printed now.

I'm guessing you mean Steve Ashton, and I'm certain he meant what he said in regard to the 1999 Specification, not the 3rd Edition Manual. In any case, I gave you the straight story above.

>They also told us that the committees which update the manual are
>considering a dual specification (ASD/LRFD) for the 2005 edition!

The 2005 Specification will be a unified document. At that point, there will no longer be an LRFD Specification or an ASD Specification, just an AISC Specification. It's still too early to tell exactly what it will look like, but I'm certain it will incorporate the best of both into a specification that is economical, practical and easy to use.

Charlie