ASD Remains Alive and Well !

Hallelujah brethren !! I just attended the current touring AISC seminar
("Lateral Framing Systems East of the Rockies"), in which I learned that: (1)
the 1999 edition to the current 1993 LRFD Spec is due out soon; (2) the next
edition will be published in 2005; AND (3) this 2005 edition will contain
Specs for both LRFD *AND* ASD ! The comment made by the AISC rep was "we
heard the profession". However, I suspect that there will be no 10th Edition
of the Manual to go along with the 2005 ASD Spec, and I am suspicious that
there will be significant changes to the ASD Specs, but without the
convenience of an updated Manual to go along with this, THEY hope the ASDer's
will say to hell with it, I'm not fighting this anymore--I'm goin' to LRFD.
How's that for perception (and paranoia) !

We were also told that in the 1999 LRFD Spec, load combination provisions
will be only by reference to ASCE 7--they will not be repeated in the Spec.