single plate shear connections edge distance

Our detailers have a question that I was unsure of the answer:  When doing single plate shear connections with 3/4" dia bolts (9th ed. p 4-54 or the Vol. II connections), would it be acceptable to use 1 1/4" vertical  edge distances at the top and bottom of the plate instead of 1 1/2"?  I am thinking that it would be reasonable to assume that the allowable load would multiplied by a ratio of the length of new plate over the length of plate in the tables since the proposed plate would be 1/2" shorter - conservatively assuming that the weld length controls.  If block shear controlled, I guess this approach would also be close.  Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates
2102 Main St. Suite 200
Northampton, PA 18067