RE: single plate shear connections edge distance

I called one of the engineers at AISC about that a few years ago.  I was told that the reason for using 1 1/2" as the vertical edge distance was that all of the testing had been done using that distance.  His feeling was that you should not use the standard 1 1/4" distance unless you could prove that it was okay.

Roger Davis
-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Peoples [mailto:lvtakp(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 10:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: single plate shear connections edge distance

Our detailers have a question that I was unsure of the answer:  When doing single plate shear connections with 3/4" dia bolts (9th ed. p 4-54 or the Vol. II connections), would it be acceptable to use 1 1/4" vertical  edge distances at the top and bottom of the plate instead of 1 1/2"?  I am thinking that it would be reasonable to assume that the allowable load would multiplied by a ratio of the length of new plate over the length of plate in the tables since the proposed plate would be 1/2" shorter - conservatively assuming that the weld length controls.  If block shear controlled, I guess this approach would also be close.  Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates
2102 Main St. Suite 200
Northampton, PA 18067