RE: Precast Single T

Todd,

It is likely that your section was produced from a larger form where a
standard 8ft width was cropped to 6ft. Also your 12" depth was probably
achieved by placing a filler into a much deeper stem form, probably a 36"
section depth overall. If that's true for your tee, you'll need to create
your section from a standard section geometry and calculate the section
props for your specific case.

>From the 2nd Ed. of the PCI Design Handbook (1978)
Single Tee:  8ST36 (PCI MANUAL 1978 2nd Ed.)
                  Flange Width        8'-0"
                  Flange Thickness    1.5" at tips
                  Flange Thickness    3.0" at flange/web chamfer
                  Section Depth       36"
                  Web Width           8"
                  Web/Flange Chamfer  appears 3"x3"

                  A = 570 in^2 ;  I = 68,917 in^4 ; yb = 26.01 in ; yt =
9.99 in
                  Sb = 2650 in^3 ; St = 6899 in^3

The only other single tee listed in the 2nd Ed PCI Manual is a 10'wide x 48"
deep section:
Single Tee: 10ST48 (PCI MANUAL 1978 2nd Ed.)
                  Flange Width        10'-0"
                  Flange Thickness    1.5" at tips
                  Flange Taper        1:14
                  Section Depth       48"
                  Web Width           8"
                  Web/Flange Chamfer  appears 3"x3"

                  A = 570 in^2 ;  I = 68,917 in^4 ; yb = 26.01 in ; yt =
9.99 in
                  Sb = 2650 in^3 ; St = 6899 in^3

However, I also have the section properties for an 8'-0" wide x 32" deep
form used in Hawaii starting in the late 70's.
Single Tee:  8ST32 (CON-FAB, Hawaii)
                  Flange Width        8'-0"
                  Flange Thickness    2.0" at tips
                  Flange Thickness    3.0" at flange/web chamfer
                  Section Depth       32"
                  Web Width           8"
                  Web/Flange Chamfer  3"x3"

                  A = 606 in^2 ; I = 50,449 in^4 ; yb = 23.8 in ; yt = 12.2
in
                  Sb = 2118 in^3 ; St = 6171 in^3

I mention Con-Fab's section because it has been my experience that even
though the PCI Manual shows "standard" sections there's no guarantee that is
the same section producers will have their forms fabricated to. You really
need to know what section each individual precaster uses.  If you are
interested, e-mail me your fax number directly and I will fax you the
applicable pages out of the PCI Manual and Con-Fab's Brochure.

Brent R. Koch, P.E.
KOCH ENGINEERING, INC.
Livermore, CA
mailto:kochengr(--nospam--at)pacbell.net