Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]


[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Your best bet is to contact your state board.  I am not familiar with
Utah's SE act.  I have heard at least one source imply that it is a title
act.  According to this document that I have read, only Illinois, Oregon,
and Hawaii have SE practice acts.  The way I understand this is that in
all states except those three, one must first obtain a PE, then obtain the
SE to be allowed to use the title "Structural Engineer" in that state
(with an SE title act).

Having said that, I will first assume that when you refer to the PPE exam,
that you are refering to the Civil PE exam.  The first thing to point out
is that the Struct I exam IS used by some states as a "PE-level" exam.  I
am sure Roger will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Arizona
does list the PE specialty as part of ones license (i.e. civil,
structural, mechanical, etc).  Therefore, I believe that in Arizona one
would take the Struct I exam to obtain a PE license (or registration) to
practice structural engineering.

Ultimately, I will go back to my begining you state
board.  Barring that route, I would suggest that you take the Civil PE
exam.  It is not beyond the relm of possibility that some state could bar
you from gaining reciprocity because you took the Struct I exam.  The
worst result is that you end up taking the Civil PE, the Struct I, and
maybe Struct II exams (and maybe even the Washigton Struct II exam, the CA
SE exam, the CA seismic & surveying exams for the PE, etc.).

Hope that helps,


On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Jake Watson wrote:

> This is a little off topic....
> 	I am looking at taking the exam in the spring and would like to know
> how states treat the different exams.  A coworker of mine insists that I
> can take the NCEES SE-I exam or the PPE.  A strict interpretation of the
> DOPL rules here in utah says that I have to take the PPE (the only exam
> mentioned).  However that means that I must take both the SE-I and the
> SE-II if I want to become and S.E. in Utah.  I realize every state is a
> little different, but advice would be appreciated.
> -- 
> Jake Watson, E.I.T.
> Salt Lake City, UT