RE: single plate shear connections edge distance

Kenneth:
The single Plate Shear tab connections table in AISC manual to be used
according to the recommendations made by AISC (based on test also). Refer to
AISC Manual 9th edition, Volume-I (page 4-52), Appendix-C of Volume-II (9th
edition) and also LRFD Volume-I (page-9-147).

If I need to deviate from those assumption per AISC, I normally check the
followings manually:

	Bolt Capacity considering eccentricity (refer to AISC Table XI, Volume -I,
9th edition)
	Shear Yielding of plate (Gross)
	Shear Fracture of Plate	(Net)
	Net Flexure on Plate (using 0.58*Fu)
	Gross Flexure on plate (using 0.6*Fy)
	Block Shear on plate
	Bolt Bearing on plate
	Bolt Bearing on beam/girder web
	Weld capacity
For copped beam:(Appendix-B of AISC Volume-2 ASD 9th edition)
	Shear Yielding of beam/girder web
	Shear Fracture of beam/girder web
	Block Shear of beam/girder web (AISC volume-2, ASD page 3-74)
	Flexure on Net section of beam/girder

I hope this will help.

Lutfur R. Khandaker

>From: Ken Peoples <lvtakp(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
>Subject: single plate shear connections edge distance
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

>--0-1037127828-973096701=:9294

>Our detailers have a question that I was unsure of the answer:  When doing
single plate shear connections with 3/4" dia bolts (9th ed. p 4-54 or the
Vol. >II connections), would it be acceptable to use 1 1/4" vertical  edge
distances at the top and bottom of the plate instead of 1 1/2"?  I am
thinking that it >would be reasonable to assume that the allowable load
would multiplied by a ratio of the length of new plate over the length of
plate in the tables since >the proposed plate would be 1/2" shorter -
conservatively assuming that the weld length controls.  If block shear
controlled, I guess this approach would >also be close.  Your thoughts are
always appreciated.

>Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.Lehigh Valley Technical Associates2102 Main St.
Suite 200Northampton, PA 18067ph: 610-262-6345fax: 610-262-8188email: