RE: single plate shear connections edge distance

Note that with the single plate shear tab connection, rotation is
accomodated by yielding of the plate around the bolt.  As the bolt hole
elongates rotation of the end of the beam will occur.  I believe this to be
more restrictive than the usual connection design criteria, which would
suggest that the usual checks may not be adequate.

Because the bolt in this type of connection needs to be stronger than the
plate a thicker plate would not always be conservative.

In addition it is my understanding that the tests used to validate this
connection were based on "A36" steel for the plate.  I would be interested
if AISC can confirm this.  If the tests were based on A36 steel for the
plates how should we modify the designs to accomodate the much stronger
material that is normally availible?

Mark Gilligan

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++
>Kenneth:
The single Plate Shear tab connections table in AISC manual to be used
according to the recommendations made by AISC (based on test also). Refer
AISC Manual 9th edition, Volume-I (page 4-52), Appendix-C of Volume-II (9th
edition) and also LRFD Volume-I (page-9-147).

If I need to deviate from those assumption per AISC, I normally check the
followings manually:

        Bolt Capacity considering eccentricity (refer to AISC Table XI,
Volume -I,
9th edition)
        Shear Yielding of plate (Gross)
        Shear Fracture of Plate (Net)
        Net Flexure on Plate (using 0.58*Fu)
        Gross Flexure on plate (using 0.6*Fy)
        Block Shear on plate
        Bolt Bearing on plate
        Bolt Bearing on beam/girder web
        Weld capacity
For copped beam:(Appendix-B of AISC Volume-2 ASD 9th edition)
        Shear Yielding of beam/girder web
        Shear Fracture of beam/girder web
        Block Shear of beam/girder web (AISC volume-2, ASD page 3-74)
        Flexure on Net section of beam/girder

I hope this will help.

Lutfur R. Khandaker

<