shear strength of WF

Mark,

Unlike shear strength in the strong direction where the shear strength is
simply V = (Tau)*d*t(w), or the shear stress, Tau = V/d*t(w), shear in the
weak direction is the same as shear on two rectangular elements,

Tau(max) = 1.5*V/2*b(f)*t(f).

The reason that we can take the shear stress as uniform across the depth of a
WF section in the strong direction is because of the flexural shear formula,

Tau = V*Q/I*b

Shear stress is very low in the flanges because "b" is very large, but when
you get to the web, "b" suddenly becomes small, and the shear stress becomes
very large, and remains almost the same for the depth of the web, then
suddenly becomes small again at the other flange.  We do not have the luxury
of that simplicity for shear in the weak direction, i.e., parallel to the
flanges.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E. (Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Mark Pemberton wrote:

>>Can anyone direct me to useful provisions for
the shear strength of a wide flange beam in
weak direction loading?  (The key word in this
sentence is "useful" - the AISC ASD & LRFD
manuals do not seem to address this issue
in a usable manor)<<